I spent my early childhood in Cheonan before moving to Jecheon.
I have happy memories of attending elementary school in Cheonan, where I met friends who shared my interests and had a lot of fun playing together.
The most memorable place I have ever visited is Guam. I will never forget the smell I noticed as soon as I arrived at Guam Airport, the sunset, and the pink sky and blue ocean.
Lastly, the place I would like to visit is the San Francisco Bay Area in California, USA. It is a metropolitan area surrounding San Francisco Bay. I would like to visit this region to experience California’s culture, especially because it is home to many Asian communities.
**H (Home Region) – Cheonan**
Cheonan, where I grew up, is a growing city with many apartment buildings, roads, schools, and commercial areas. In some parts of the city, especially around busy roads and commercial districts, there are many concrete surfaces and relatively few trees. During the summer, these areas can become very hot, and pedestrians may have difficulty finding shady places to rest. Cheonan has also been working on expanding urban forests and planting trees to improve the urban environment and reduce problems such as heat islands and fine dust.
**O (Observation & Objective) – Why Is It So Hot?**
I noticed that places with lots of concrete and asphalt tend to feel much hotter than places with trees and grass. Concrete and asphalt absorb and store heat from sunlight during the day, while trees can provide shade and cool the surrounding area. Therefore, my objective is to investigate which areas of my neighborhood are the hottest and have the least amount of shade. I can take photos, compare areas with and without trees, and make a simple map showing the locations that need more green spaces.
**P (Plan) – The “Cool Cheonan” Project**
I propose a “Cool Cheonan” project that students and local residents can participate in. First, we can identify hot areas around schools, bus stops, and busy streets. Then, we can create small “green spots” by planting trees, flowers, or other plants in available spaces. We could also make small shade areas near places where people often wait, such as bus stops. Students could design signs encouraging people to protect the plants and keep the area clean.
**E (Execute & Evidence) – From Our Neighborhood to the World**
To put the idea into action, students can choose one small area near their school or home and plant and care for several plants. Before and after the project, they can take photos and record the temperature and amount of shade. They can then share their results through a school presentation or social media. If similar projects are carried out in different neighborhoods, small changes could create a greener and cooler city. This project would also show that children can participate in solving environmental problems in their own communities.
