My hometown is Suwon, a city in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. It is located just south of Seoul, so it is easy to visit from the capital. I feel happy whenever I am in Suwon because it is a city where I can enjoy both the atmosphere of a city and the beauty of nature.
I love traveling and taking walks. If you ever visit Suwon, I especially recommend going to Haenggung-dong. There are many small and charming cafés, restaurants, and walking paths. If you look out the window of a café or take a walk around Haenggung-dong, you can experience Korea’s four distinct seasons. You can enjoy cherry blossoms in spring, clear blue skies in summer, colorful fallen leaves in autumn, and freshly fallen snow in winter.
But Haenggung-dong has more to offer than cafés and beautiful streets. It is also home to Suwon Hwaseong Fortress, one of the most famous landmarks in Suwon. The fortress surrounds the center of the city, and you can walk along its long stone walls and see the city from different viewpoints. Near the fortress is Hwaseong Haenggung Palace, a historic palace that was once used by King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty. Walking through the old fortress walls and palace while seeing the modern city around them is one of my favorite things about Suwon. It feels as if the past and present exist together in one place.
If you visit Suwon, I hope you will not simply pass through it. Take your time, walk along the fortress, stop by a café in Haenggung-dong, and enjoy the scenery. I hope you can feel a little of the happiness that I have felt in my hometown.



