Hello everyone. Today, I’d like to talk about my experiences and my future travel plans.
I was born in Uljin and lived there before moving to Seoul for university. Now, I study elementary education and computer education at Gyeongin National University of Education.
After coming to Seoul, I was happy to meet people I like, visit beautiful places, and try different kinds of delicious food. These experiences made me more interested in traveling and experiencing new places.
I’m also interested in geography. For example, there are two major mountain ranges in the Americas: the Rocky Mountains and the Andes Mountains.
In the future, I really want to travel around Europe. I hope to go either before or after I take the teacher employment examination. I want to experience European culture, history, and beautiful places for myself.
Thank you for listening!
H (Our Region) – Uljin
Uljin is a beautiful coastal area with the East Sea, mountains, and forests. There are many beaches and ports, so local residents and tourists often enjoy the sea. However, there can also be a lot of waste on the beaches and around the coast. Plastic bottles, plastic bags, and fishing nets can be left by visitors or washed onto the shore from the sea. Uljin County is also working to keep its coast clean by collecting marine waste and abandoned fishing equipment.
O (Observation and Goal) – Why Is There So Much Waste in the Sea?
I noticed that marine waste can become a serious problem in places where many people visit and use the sea. Plastic bottles and bags can remain in the environment for a long time and can harm marine animals. Fishing nets and other fishing equipment can also be dangerous because animals can become trapped in them. In addition, heavy rain and typhoons can carry waste from land into the sea.
Therefore, my goal is to find out what kinds of waste are commonly found along the coast of Uljin and how we can reduce marine waste. We can take pictures, collect waste, and record the types and amounts of waste we find. We can also compare different beaches and coastal areas to find places where more environmental management is needed.
P (Plan) – The ‘Clean Uljin Sea’ Project
I propose a ‘Clean Uljin Sea’ project that students and local residents can participate in together. First, we will choose places such as beaches, ports, and coastal walking paths where many people visit.
Then, we will investigate and collect marine waste. We will separate the waste into different categories, such as plastic bottles, plastic bags, cans, and fishing nets. Based on our investigation, we can make a ‘Marine Waste Map of Uljin’ to show where different types of waste are found.
Students can also make signs about protecting marine animals and reducing plastic waste. These signs can be placed near beaches and other coastal areas to encourage visitors to keep the sea clean.
E (Execution and Results) – Making Uljin’s Sea Cleaner
To put this project into action, students can choose one beach or coastal area in Uljin and investigate it for a certain amount of time. We can take pictures before and after the cleanup and record the types and amounts of waste we collect.
We can then make graphs or maps using the results and share them through a school presentation or exhibition. One cleanup activity cannot solve the entire marine waste problem, but it can help people think about how to prevent waste from entering the sea.
Keeping Uljin’s sea clean is important not only for the natural environment but also for marine animals, fishing, and tourism. Through the ‘Clean Uljin Sea’ project, students can learn that they can find environmental problems in their own community and take action to solve them. Cleaning one small beach can be the first step toward protecting the entire sea of Uljin.

