JJ Friends : Bright KEBALU from Togo

JIRI
By -
29
Hi everyone, my name is Bright KEBALU; 17 years old and I come from Togo from the town of Kara. This is my country...
Togo is a small rectangular country of 56,600 km2 in West Africa. It is limited to the north by Burkina Faso, to the south by the Atlantic Ocean, to the west by Ghana and to the east by Benin. His capital is Lomé.
As far as I am concerned, I am originally from the town of Kara in the north of the country but despite this, I live in Lomé. Apart from family visits, scout outings allow me to enjoy the wonderful vegetation with its thousand shapes and reliefs of Kara.
Those who are from Kara are called the « Kabyè ». Historically, we come from Sudan, then we migrated to the West Coast but we stopped in the mountains in Kara because we felt safe there like in the film "Black Panther". The totem animal of the Kabyès is the “Dog” which is called “Hô” in the local language and this is due to a story. Legend has it that the first Kabyè who was called "Abalo" came directly from heaven and lived with his wife and his dog who was his friend and protector with the gods. One day, demons called “Aléwa” began to invade the mountain and take over the territory of Abalo. This one, seeing that the peace of his couple and his children would be threatened, launched into a violent fight against the Aléwa in the company of his dog but it was too hard. He appealed to the gods and these gods said that to free the mountain, he had to eat the dog to gain all his strength and all his power and he will also be accompanied by the gods. It was very hard to consume his sacred dog but it was a necessary sacrifice. After sacrificing the dog, a superhuman power developed within him, allowing him to defeat all the Aléwa and make them flee. The Aléwa promised to return for revenge and since that day, every year a wrestling competition called "Evala" is organized because Abalo wanted to introduce all these children to being able to defend their families and their territory but there was a problem... Let me know in the comments if you wanted to know what happens next.
Our traditional dance is one of the most famous in Togo because of its great simplicity. Indeed, being a celebration of victory after the victory over the Aléwa, everyone has the right to move at their own pace and in their own way.
Sometimes, my scout friends and I have traditional evenings to highlight my culture through costumes and dances
Despite the development of infrastructure, the government has maintained some magical places in Kara as tourist resorts.
I've even visited them and I'm not excited to blend in with the decor.
In 1914, French forces invaded Togoland from Dahomey in the east. The British, who occupied the Gold Coast, entered German territory from the west. After the defeat of Germany in 1918, Togo became a country under mandate of the League of Nations (SDN), ancestor of the United Nations. On April 27, 1960, Togo became independent after the speech of our first president "Sylvanus Olympio" who expressed the long suffering of the people in his words: "The night is long, but the day is coming ”.
Every year, on the occasion of Independence Day, a flame is lit on the Independence Monument to signify hope.
For my part, I am more passionate about travel and adventures, I have the chance to meet scouts from Senegal
Scout from France
but let's not forget my scout friends from Togo with whom the experiences are shared
They are always there when needed, even though we don't come from the same place..
..We work in our own way for a better world
They were there in good times and bad
That's what makes us scarf brothers
This is in summary everything you can know about Togo and Kara. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments and I will answer them, despite everything, the scout adventure continues🥂
Tags:

Post a Comment

29Comments

  1. Hello Bright! It's nice to meet you. What do you enjoy most about being a scout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joy, it is above all adventure and learning to live together that interests me, for example it is thanks to scouting that I discovered my ability to lead and that I developed it moreover . it also allows lots of new encounters, I'm not going to deny that my best encounters so far, it's thanks to the scout activities

      Delete
    2. I had the opportunity to participate in a leadership training scout camp, where we learned about communication, decision-making, and conflict resolution. It was incredibly valuable and helped me become a better leader both in scouting and in other areas of my life.

      Delete
    3. Interesting, I would have loved to have been there, and what kinds of activities are there in your camps? With us, it's more entertainment songs, games and fun and sporting activities

      Delete
    4. Oh, wow! We also do those activities during our camps. Additionally, we usually have classes during our camps such as first aid classes and wilderness survival classes.

      Delete
    5. I see, ☺️I already feel that it’s exciting, and you, do you put cultural activities in as I explain them on my blog?

      Delete
    6. Not so often, unfortunately 😔. During the bigger camps that happen, sometimes people will come and share some of their cultural activities on our bonfire nights but that does not usually happen. But you guys look like you all have a lot fun! I hope that we start doing more cultural activities during our camps.

      Delete
    7. yes I wish it very much for you 🌝, it's always nice to remember your cultures and it solidifies the links, I hope that we will stay in touch and share the blog with your friends if that doesn't bother you. It's enriching to talk with you. Thank you ☺️

      Delete
    8. Sure, I'd love to stay in touch! I'll share the blog with my friends. It's been great talking with you too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bright! I love the scarf. What does the colors of it means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a scarf for a camp in the town of Kara in Togo. White means pure heart or peace, black means calm or patience for us, yellow is prosperity and blue the aesthetic was to support a Kara scout group and make people smile again.
      On the other hand, our national scarves are for young people, 4 in number:
      Louveteaux : a yellow scarf edged in green for 2-10 year olds
      Éclaireur : a green scarf edged in blue for 11-15 year olds
      Compagnie: a blue scarf bordered with red for 16-18 year olds
      Routier : a red scarf bordered in white for 18-21 year olds
      but I can't send photos in the comments to better illustrate the meanings so if you are interested, you can write to me at +22897354711

      Delete
    2. Thank you Bright! I'll write you as soon as possible.

      Delete
    3. Ok , no problem 😉

      Delete
    4. how many national scarves do you have in your home?

      Delete
  3. We only have one national scarf with the colors of our flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok , i saw that , ☺️it is beautiful

      Delete
  4. Hi everyone, I would like you to also tell me about your cultures if that doesn't bother you🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiii Bright!!!, I’m Renata from Mexico!,What would you say is your most favorite part of your country and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hiiii Renata, nice to meet you😇
      I mainly lived in Lomé and I only spent a short time in other cities so seen like that, I would say I like Lomé but all the other cities are also my favorites, and you? Which city do you prefer near you?

      Delete
  6. hi bright, nice to meet you too☺️!! Well, I live in Mexico City, but I really like going to Cuernavaca and a Tepoztlan!! Tepoztlán has many delicious things to eat, and they sell many crafts, if you ever visit Mexico you could visit those places!!!,What is your favorite food from your country? Maybe if you want to know a little more about Mexico, you can see my blog and comment something😋.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very interesting, here we have a very varied gastronomy and you can find for example Akumé and its derivatives, rice, koliko, ayimolou but what I prefer the most is foufou 😌, it can be accompanied several sauces and when you eat it once, 🤣we want to eat it again
      I'm going to visit your blog right now.

      Delete
  7. Oooo that food sounds really nice😋I hope I can try it sometime, my favorite food from Mexico I think would be “enchiladas” but the green sauce ones

    ReplyDelete
  8. ☺️good , I want to eat it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Bright, I'm in South Korea in songdo! I read your post and I feel interested in your country and you!
    I want to meet you if I can. When you can have a chace to visit my country, let's meet once a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hojin Lee, no problems, it would be a pleasure to know you, so let's stay in touch 😊

      Delete
Post a Comment

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!