JJ Friends : Kevin Jamie Clayton Puljhun from Suriname

JIRI
By -
11
Hello everyone. My name is Kevin Jamie Clayton Puljhun, I am 17 years old and I'm a scout born and raised in Suriname. I am a fun loving, energetic guy and I have been in the scouting organisation since I was 6 years old. It is something that I very much like to do and is also very fun, I also like hanging out with people and also learn something from them. And it was also a thing that I did on the Jamboree learn and see things with my own eyes.
This was our camping place and this photo was taken on culture day, a day that I will surely remember, because there was so much to do and to learn.
This was my outfit for culture day what I am wearing is called a 'schouder doek', and on my head is a 'hoofdtooi'. The hoofdtooi that I am wearing is much smaller, i couldn't bring a bigger one, because it is made out of real feathers and the birds of those feathers are protected it is actually forbidden to bring them outside the country and the smaller ones is mostly worn by children.
This is a much bigger hoofdtooi, this is mostly worn by people of the community.
And this one is worn by the Captain of an indian village. (The word indian refers to the native people who are living in the forest in Suriname, just to be clear)
This is 'kasiri' a traditional Indian drink which contains alcohol and it's very sweet.
This is a traditional dish called 'pepre watra' and it's eaten with cassave bread and fish or wild meat. Is very hot.
This photo was taken moments before we went to meet a famous k-pop group called Stay C, it was a game show, wich i didn't win but I read some of the comments from the video and also its on youtube. https://youtu.be/w-fgkr25oik?si=YUneeLTnibYo51_a I left the link incase you want to check it out.
Here we met a scout from banglasdesh
Here we were with scouts from Switzerland and Mexico.
Here we met India at the airport after we arrived, they were very nice and also I loved the energy that they gave and they really seem like fun people to hangout with.
A scout from Saudi Arabia

Post a Comment

11Comments

  1. I love it Kevin! Beautiful hoofdtooi👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin! Your outfit for Culture Day is fantastic. Could you tell me more about the cultural significance of the 'schouder doek' and 'hoofdtooi' you wore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course, the schouder doek it is worn by the native people mostly when there is something to celebrate and the hoofdtooi must be worn when you have your schouder doek otherwise your outfit is incomplete

      Delete
    2. It's interesting to learn about their cultural significance. Do these items have specific meanings or symbols attached to them, or are they more generally worn for celebrations?

      Delete
    3. Mostly it is worn in general and mostly worn to celebrate something the hooftooi will be different from chief of the village

      Delete
    4. Thats nice to know. Have you worn them during any particular memorable events?

      Delete
  3. That's a very nice cultural outfit Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi kevin! What’s the name of that outfit that’s weared by indian(native)?what’re common differences between indian&suriname people from the city(urban) especially religion, culture&myth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the outfit is called a schouder doek the translation is shoulder cloth and on my head is called a hoofdtooi. The difference between the urban and the country is that all who are born within Suriname are Surinamese people. In the city is a bit luxurious, because in the city you do what they don't. Like in the city you sleep in a house on a bed, they sleep in a house or they sleep in a open cabin or house made from wood and big leaves. They are also more cultural oriented than the ones living in the city. There are a few tribes here and the speak there own language in the city you have some that speak the language of the tribe fluently and they have Thier own music

      Delete
Post a Comment

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!